For more than 100 years, the Kansas City Board of Public Utilities (BPU) has provided safe, dependable water and electric services across Wyandotte County. As a non-profit public utility, we are fully committed to serving our customers and the community as a whole. It’s more than simply providing a service. It’s a commitment to a better quality of life. That’s why BPU has been recognized as one of the top public utilities in the country. That’s the Power of Community. The BPU offers very competitive pay and one of the best benefits packages in greater Kansas City! Come join the Power of Our Community!
Duties & Responsibilities / Essential Functions
- Prepare civil engineering projects through effective coordination, engineering design, preparation of drawings and specifications using limited experience and judgment with general supervision from the supervisor.
- Prepare and ensure preparation of residential, commercial, and industrial water service recommendations by reviewing plot plans, subdivision plans, mechanical site plans, and other construction drawings submitted by contractors, architects, developers, and consumers and recommend a mutually beneficial main extension or water service.
- Guide and ensure the proper coordination of the Engineering Aides in their daily field and office responsibilities for assigned projects.
- Prepare well designed, properly budgeted cost efficient and well-coordinated construction projects for utility work crews and contractors.
- Provide for construction observation on complex projects.
- Prepare design calculations, technical reports, and memos for water infrastructure projects and electrical substation projects. Engineering tasks includes site preparation, hydraulic modeling, stormwater/water main sizing, and structural calculations for structures and associated foundations.
- Contribute Civil Engineering technical assistance to other divisions involving maintenance, remodeling, or facility improvements.
- Perform other similar duties as assigned.
Minimal Requirements & Education
The position will be filled by one of the following levels:
- Project Engineer I (Salary Class E5C)- This position requires the incumbent to have acquired a Civil Engineering Degree from an engineering accredited college or university and pass the Kansas State Board of Technical Profession Fundamental of Engineering Exam and Certification within six (6) months of employment; and a minimum of 0 to 2 years of experience.
- Project Engineer II (Salary Class E6C) –This position requires the incumbent to have acquired a Civil Engineering Degree from an engineering accredited college or university and passed the Kansas State Board of Technical Profession Fundamental of Engineering Exam, Certified as an Engineer In Training and a minimum of 2 years of experience.
Applicants must be able to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Salary will be decided on the experience of the selected candidate.
Civil Engineer I (E5C) / $67,681 - $84,601
Civil Engineer II (E6C) / $82,779 - $103,473